Love ‘em or hate ‘em: Biking NYC need-to-knows
April 24, 2012
Break out your wheels yet? If you’re a cyclist, please be safe on those streets, and make sure your bike stays secure from rampant NYC bicycle thieves! Here are some tips, tricks, and headlines about the biking season up ahead.
- Spinlister is a new web startup that lets you affordably rent all kinds of bikes for all kinds of time periods in NYC (from the hour to the month).
- Bicycle been tucked away? Here’s how to spring-ify your bike.
- From the department of staying alive: Eight important safety tips for bicyclists new and old.
- Biking in NYC is actually kinda wicked bad for your lungs — cause all that heavy breathing you’re doing in the great city outdoors causes you to draw in more pollutants. Hmm. Maybe compromise by not smoking? I’m looking at you, hipsters.
- Did you know that bike theft is passively somewhat endorsed in New York City? This dude consistently stages “stealing” his own bicycle — using crowbars and even the sidewalk in front of a police station — just to check how peeps would react. Turns out, the general public went about its merry way.
- The police department is now responsible for tracking all bike accidents, something they didn’t do before. Whether NYPD will pay more attention to it than to the bike thieves is tbd.
- DOT is installing new bike racks all over town, for example this one in East Village. Request a bike rack installed where you like to park here.
- Pimp out your dome-piece. These hands-free helmet walkie-talkies keep you in touch with your co-bikers (number of minutes it would take one of my friends to burp as loud as possible into it: probably two). Have a dorky helmet? Here are some cool ones. Your best bet for a wide selection of nifty-looking helmets in Manhattan is probably Adeline Adeline.
- Last but not least, should you accidentally find yourself in a bike lockout situation, give us a call — we take care of those kinds of locks quickly and easily, too!
CHECK OUT OUR VIDEO